1. Characterization: Does the author create believable, memorable characters with the uniqueness, complexity, and individuality of real people? Do you respond to the characters either positive or negatively? Does the main character respond to and influence events? Does the dialogue contribute to rich, vivid, unique characterization?
2. Plot: Has the author constructed a clear, convincing and compelling storyline with a recognizable arc of conflict, crisis, and resolution? Are obstacles to be overcome sufficiently challenging to the protagonists? Do you feel tension mounting in the story? Is the resolution innovative, credible and authentic?
3. Theme: Does the story contain a central or dominating theme? Does the author make this idea concrete through the characters and their actions? How well is the message integrated into the story? Is the story an agenda-driven platform?
4. Setting and Atmosphere: Are historical and geographic details sufficiently and accurately developed to give the story realistic or appropriate atmosphere and setting? Can you visualize the places being described? Does the story contain anachronisms?
5. Mechanics: Are there errors present in spelling, grammar, paragraphing, and punctuation? Are words used incorrectly? Do typographical errors mar your enjoyment of the story?
6. Writing Quality: Does the quality of the author’s prose and deftness in handling point-of-view enhance the story? Do specific details appeal to your senses and hold your attention? Does the author use precise, active verbs? Does the rhythm of the prose enhance the meaning? Are metaphors and similes skillfully employed?
7. Passion: Does this story engage your emotions? Have you come to care deeply about the characters and what happens to them? Is your mind and spirit stimulated and enlightened by the experience of reading this story?
Below is the suggested concept of the scoring of points from 1 to 10
1 – this should have never been written
5 – it’s ok, but…
10 – this is fantastic
At the end of the form is a question that may become a pain having to answer each time a judge entries results, but we must do this to keep hackers at bay. Once completed, you will be taken back to a blank form and an email will be sent to us confirming receipt of the judging result form.
Thank you for your time and hard work in helping us to judge this contest.